View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
sick472

Re: Cutting a long step side to short step side

I can't help with your actual question, but I wanted to back up Clay's comment. Buy the replacement bed side. Unless...you feel the need to experiment and learn how to work sheet metal by starting off on a higher level task. (I assume that you a may be new to sheet metal work, if that is true then tackling a bed mod would be like taking algebra before taking basic math.) It could be done, but your final grade will reflect it, if you don't give up and quit the job. I started my metal work experience on my 72, but started with the floor boards, then the rockers and cab corners, then the doors, then the bed and my bedsides still turned out wonky. I needed the learning experience which worked out very well, BUT I should have bought the bedside that I needed. I assure you that I spent $400 on materials to "fix" the bedside and many ,many, many hours of my time to end up with a bedside that is a little wavy. I suppose a step side would be a lot easier than my fleet and if going to a stepside is your goal there would be money saved if the used bed is priced right.

More power to you, and if I can help with metal working tips just hit me up.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote