View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Re: Failure To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Shoving a young bird out of the nest is understandable & parents aren't blamed. Why isn't shoving an old one just as acceptable?
I'm not offended, but I will point out where you are squarely wrong, since you asked. I see your statement as explaining the answer to you itself. The difference is the bird shoves it's young ones out at a particular phase of life that is crucial to their development. Once they can fly they need to start providing for themselves. It is that point in life the fledgling realizes that worm isn't going to keep showing up in momma's mouth, that if they want to eat they better go out and get it. Since humans are the only ones (some) who "hang on" to their young, we have no example of the bird that never left the nest. But what we would have is a Big Huey who is underdeveloped for his age. We get a guy like this one in the news.

It came to a court case 20 or so years after they had allowed this to go on. It is because of them allowing this to become his life as he knows it that it is now a problem for him. Like I said, it's hard to pull your hand back when it's being filled. Who would be the one to teach him the reasons he should pull his hand back if not his parents? I'll bet money that the parents will now be helping him with his bills in his new "separate location".

I know all this from first hand experience. My ex-wife is a coddler. It is one of the main reasons we are not together anymore. Once our kids came of age the problem became apparent. They didn't stay at home, but she tended to all their bills. It was causing us financial strain. I had my philosophy on how to raise kids and she had hers. I'd tell her she was creating a monster, setting them up for a rude awakening, that it is our job to help them "help themselves" not just help them. I'd tell her about Momma Bear running Baby Bare off after two years, Momma Bird kicking the fledgling out of the nest, and most of all... neither of our parents gave us a dime. We had to earn and make our own way and we were doing just fine!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-03-2018 at 07:28 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote