View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
bwood

1999 Chevy Malibu A/C Control Head Question

Alright guys, I know this is for the trucks, but my wife's A/C not working right. We've had this problem 4 times before. The A/C Control head on her 99 Malibu turns the A/C off on its own, fans still runs just the light in the button for the A/C goes off and shuts off the compressor. It went out when we purchased the car used, still had some warranty left. Went out again about a year later, $185 after that, all was good. About a 1 1/2 years later here we go again, $148 at another dealer. Wednesday while going down the highway the air was warm from the vents, looked down and the light was out. Here's a weird part, and this has happened with all of the control heads, you can push on the trim next to the a/c button it comes on again. Now I have taken these apart before in the attempt to repair them, but never find anything wrong. I just took this one apart and again no obivious issues, also looked to see why pressing on the trim turns it back on but there is nothing back there. I am frustated with this, this shouldn't be happening every year. I have spoken with two dealer service departments and they don't have any info about this issue, they say "you've got a short somewhere, you'll have to trace it out". I can understand their answer, but how do you trace it out when they have done such a good job of burying everything and why would pressing on the trim make it come back on? I have heard of some issues with the recirc button changing back to outside air (these do this too, just like when the fan knob is turned to off). I have had a similar issue with my 98 GMC, the a/c light would flicker on a off on the first one and comes on when the fan switch is off, this also brings the compressor on (I just make sure to turn the a/c button off when the fan is off. I am looking for anyone that has had similar problems or someone who might have some inside info. Thanks for listening to my rambling.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F

Last edited by bwood; 06-08-2007 at 11:14 PM.
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote