Thread: HEI issues?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
RichardJ

Re: HEI issues?

>> I'm also safe to assume the module is burned up due to undue heat from not receiving enough volts correct? <<

No and hell no.

So much BS it's hard to figure out where to start.

Most HEI Caps have markings on the top that identify wire connections.

Now I want to show the silliness of running a new wire in to the fuse box. The electrical drawing below has all wiring removed except charging circuit, starting circuit and ignition circuit. Use your browser to enlarge or "Copy" and "Paste" to WIN PAINT or something similar.

Follow the 12R from the Battery junction block down and over to the firewall bulkhead connector. These connectors on drawn on these drawings so that the two mating connectors are mirrored left-to-right. Vertically the wiring matches, but horizontally are flipped.
Now follow the Red 12R from the inside connector, up to the ignition switch. With the key ON, the Ign switch connects the 12R directly to the Pink 12P.

THE PINK 12P RETURNS DIRECTLY TO THE BULKHEAD CONNECTOR.

Connecting a new ignition wire to the fuse box is connecting to a side leg that branches off the 12P wire. This is a less direct source for the ignition supply voltage and makes no sense.

THE PINK 12P RETURNS DIRECTLY TO THE BULKHEAD CONNECTOR. This 12P is a copper wire. On the engine side of the bulkhead connector the 12P connects to a 20W/OR/PPL wire. This is the Resistance Wire.

As a side note; the 12 PPL coming from the Ign switch and goes to the starter solenoid is the starter wire and is Hot only when the key is in the "Start" position.,

The resistance wire is Nichrome (shiny silver). It has a White insulation covered by a W/OR/PPL braided cloth. At 50 years old it usually looks like a dirty yellow. The Resistance wire measures a terrifying 1.6 Ohms. The engine will run just fine if it is still in place. I'll have more on that later.

The drawing shows the 20W/OR/PPL meeting two yellow wires near the starter solenoid. That crimped junction is farther away from the solenoid than indicated. The ones I've looked at are usually up behind the pass side head or intake manifold. On inline six engines, it's along the side of the valve cover.
The Yellow wire to the solenoid is usually eliminated and I agree with that.

This post is long enough. I'll start another to try an debunk the unrealistic fear of the dreaded, devil, the resistor wire.
Attached Images