View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #110
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Re: Dropmember Competition ?? Have you guys seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeworx View Post
Have you or anyone you know ever tried to get a patent? Do you know what it takes? You do not just go down to the patent office and say "doo ta doo..... I'm here to get my patent." I have a friend who has a patent in the process on an idea that will change apartment living nation wide, it is even backed by NASA. Everyone who has signed a no compete clause and seen the idea is blown away.... and it will cost under $50.... and it will probably be mandatory to have one in an apartment at Christmas. Even though it is so great, everyone is backing it and there is nothing else like it, he has been in the process of getting the patent for over 2 years and has in excess of $100,000 spent.

Go here and see how they write the patent for a simple disc brake caliper.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...disc+brakes%22

This is not written by the patent office but by the person seeking the patent.... can you say lawyer. If when you seek to get the patent and all your ducks are not in a row they deny it. Hell, my buddies patent lawyer said that they deny the first submission on everyone just because, no matter how perfect it is.

So that is just a slight inclination of what it takes to get a patent.
This process is a very costly and time consuming venture. That is why there are so many products on the market that are labled "patent pend. or pending" they have registered there idea and are going through the process to clarify that they are the creator of said product. This protects them from people infringing on there product yet still allows them to market it.