View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #45
496bb

Re: Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF

Ok, thanks for the insight guys - that pic helps greatly.

Tim, I don't necessarily think I need the disc brakes out back- but from what I am reading it will be expensive and hard to find parts to rebuild the brakes should this eaton need drums and other brake parts down the line. I will be tearing the truck down soon and rebuilding from the ground up. If the drum brakes are serviceable, I will just run them awhile longer. I have the PB/PS from a 72, and will be finding some 73-87 spindles to upgrade the front to discs(although I hear the PB upgrade even with drums is an improvement).

This truck will not be used for seriously heavy work, although looking at the steel plate the PO welded in to the frame for the 5th wheel ball seems to indicate that it has been in the past. PO told me they used it to haul horse trailers.

I have adjusted the ebrakes as you suggested, and they are better. When I tear down and rebuild the truck I will be using another ebrake pedal assembly that is hopefully in better working order than mine. I just thought there was also an adjustment at the drum, I guess that's for the main brake shoes.

Thanks again for the help guys. Now if I could find a 4.10 third...

69 C20 - work in progress
91 Z28 - the weekend toy
05 Burb 2500 - DD and big block power
496bb is offline   Reply With Quote