Thread: 2nd Row Seat
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
oem4me

Re: 2nd Row Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
When I bought my Suburban, the guy had two of them--one was his driver and he used it with his two kids. It had the short middle seat.
He sold me mine, and a full-width third-row seat that needed to be rebuilt.
He said "Maybe you can cut it down to make it the short middle seat so it will bolt into the floor brackets." I said "Maybe" and handed him the additional $100 for the "seat that won't fit" and loaded it up. Once it was in my "new" truck, I said "I'll bet it'll bolt into these keyholes in the floor... look, it all lines up."
Now, this was my first Suburban, and I'd never seen any of this, but I DID notice there were a bunch of mounts in the floor of that truck, and it just stood to reason that not all of them could be for the middle seat, so I suspected that full-width seat bolted in... plus, the Suburban I bought from him only had two sliding windows, with the rears as solid, one-piece... so I figured it originally came with only a middle seat, so it was probably a full-width seat. I dunno, maybe I'm smarter than the average bear, but it just seemed like that's the way Chevy would have done it.

When I lined the seat frame up with the keyhole mounts in the floor and saw that they fit perfectly, the look on the guy's face was priceless.
He walked over to his truck, flipped over the rubber floor mat he had in it, saw the second set of keyholes, looked at me and said "I NEVER noticed that before! Wanna sell me the seat back and I'll give you this shorter one?"

NNNNNNOPE!

I rebuilt the springs with some donors from a junkyard bench, new burlap and cross wires, foam, and army canvas for the cover... it's like sitting on the couch.

-Brad
You may prefer the full width seat, but the shorter seats are the hardest to find. ALL subs had the long seat, but only some had the additional short seat.
I'd have taken the shorty when he offered.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote