View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 06:12 PM   #24
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: This for any of you that are self employed doing Carpenter work Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The neighbor isn't your friend, so...
Just let your friend know they didn't pay full price so zip-it when he talks to the neighbor.

I can relate to dealing with existing piers where yours needs to go. On the deck I had to dig a few up. It's a good thing they weren't proper footers or it would have been a lot more work. The old ones were the size a posthole digger makes and less than 24". A proper one would be 12" x 12" (not a 12" circle) and 30" deep for our region. I don't pull permits but a build to code

This picture shows the top of a new pier and an old one I dug up
Attachment 2349685

On the topic of money for jobs, I did this builder's siding and exterior trim for 10 years. His pay got slower and slower. The short story is he went belly up and I lost money. This house is one I never got paid for. What's really odd is I got a call for some work through a referral from the local hardware/home center 25 years later. It was this house needing gutter work and it was the original owner who I remembered talking to way back then
That is funny, destiny destiny.....Not getting paid isn't, beautiful siding.

I suspect my friend only got $1000 from the old folks, who asked about finishing their stretch. But then again, I only did five posts their portion, though I did have to secure two rotten corner posts to the new stuff. I had to rip one too, my cheaper-end saws-all was a savior on this job.

Bummer I had to remove a section where the neighbor's children painted art, so long ago. He wasn't happy either, my friend has a way about him. The guy says to me, "the fence didn't really need replacing did it?". I suggested he pick any old post on that stretch of his property. I happened to be standing at his corner post. Come to think of it, I floated two old corner posts; all the old ones rotten. The run affects a lot of properties.

Ready for this? The prior pro. job built a 7' fence with 8' posts, and the post's top is the fence's top. Before a 1.5" tall cap anyway. Cosmetically, someone, perhaps the builder stacked one to two 2x4" in many places to make it appear level. So, cap plus 0-2 cap caps. Elephant in the room is the earth along the run is near nuts level anyway.

I build square concrete footings for wood fence posts. Just the top is perfectly square, using 2x4", to say 1.3/4" above grade for flat surfaces. Makes for some additional work, but looks nice; more than that lasts. At least for the climates I'm used to, where post depth should be well below the frost line anyway.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-11-2024 at 06:29 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote