View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Farm Shop

Re: 1970 C10 "RATTY" - EFI 454/4L80e, patina, SWB 2wd

This truck needs to drive and handle good enough for modern day highway speeds without feeling like I'm living on the edge every time I hit an on-ramp. The front is getting a 1-1/4" sway bar off an 80's 1 ton, and the rear is getting the bar off a '99 Z28 I have. First up was to blast/prime/paint the bars. I went with a metallic gray to give the chassis some contrast.

Front bar mounted with new Energy Suspension grease-able poly mounts. I'll figure out the rear bar mounting later.

I went back and forth on fuel tank options a lot. I landed on using the stock tank out of a '99 Z28 parts car I had sitting around, for several reasons:
- OE quality/function
- EFI ready
- Nice profile to fit behind the axle, but not look like a loaded diaper hanging down under the bed
- I had it, and it was free!

The Z28 uses a fuel pressure regulator in the tank with a full feed/return system. However, since I will be using the rail-mounted FPR on the 454, I had to gut the one in the Camaro tank. I also upgraded the pump to a Walbro 255 which should be plenty for any future power improvements.

The frame rails needed to be trimmed for the width of the tank. Nothing behind the spring perches is structural on a truck arm suspension, so I wasn't worried about this at all. I definitely wouldn't do it on a leaf spring truck, though.

I had my project supervisor keeping me in line that day

I moved the rear x-member back about 2 inches, and added some top braces for the tank to secure against.

Custom tank meant custom tank straps that follow the OE retention design.

I love the profile of this tank

Once it was all painted up and hung in place for the last time, I started on the fuel lines. I'm using 3/8" nylon feed and return. This material is about 1/2 the cost per foot of braided line, the fittings are 1/3 the price, and it all ends up being OE fit and finish. Plus, if I decide to need e85 in the future, the fuel system can handle it.

Mocking up the frame rail mounting. I'm using existing holes in the frame from the tail light harness clips. I still need to mount the filter, run the feed line, and secure the harness.

This was a small win, but a win none the less... I found the retaining brackets for the heater core in a 2yr old pile of parts! lol. So I took the opportunity to clean up the heater box and get the new Spectra heater core installed. I'll install the box once the engine is in place.

This is one of those things that doesn't add any HP or get the truck running any sooner, but my new steering wheel showed up, and I'm pretty stoked about it. Polished spokes with walnut half wrap and brass rivets.

Last edited by Farm Shop; 07-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Farm Shop is offline   Reply With Quote