View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
willymakeit

Re: 1991 GMC runs poorly after engine is warm

Ok here's an update. PU is back to running basically the same it was before the problems began. Yahooooo! LoL! But ........... the engine light comes on with the O2 sensor code after approaching around 45 MpH.

When I went to check the coolant temp sensor I found that the connector was a little corroded. I cleaned the terminals and ohmed out the sensor and checked the voltage at the connector and everything seemed to be fine. Evidently the corroded connection was the culprit for the bad conditions after the engine warmed up.

Back to Oxygen sensor .......... Where the heck is it? LoL! I've checked where it should be but can't find anything in the exhaust system (pipes, manifold) except for the plug that was installed when the new exhaust was put in.

I did find a couple of other sensors located on the drivers side. One is toward the bottom near the oil filter (Oil sending unit?) and has what appears to be a black wire. The nut on it basically looks like a ball of rust so I would hate to touch this. The other sensor is located between the #3 and #5 spark plug and has a single wire that appears to be a light to medium blueish wire. Could this possibly be it? The wiring diagrahm that I have says the 02 sensor has a purple wire though.

If some one removed the 02 sensor from the system would their be a reason for this and wouldn't this cause all sorts of other problems. If I did have an Oxygen sensor go AWOL how hard would it be to install one without messing something else up? Does seem strange sense I never had the engine light come on before the other problems started.
willymakeit is offline   Reply With Quote