View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 11:39 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Re: Manifolds VS Headers round two thousand

I like headers. One of the first things I've done on all my vehicles since 1971. I would not be running them if they sucked. The headers on my '72 K2500 have been on there since 2004, same gaskets, never had to tighten them. They are inexpensive Headman Torque Steps. The dual exhaust I had made at the same time has rusted behind one muffler, that I had to repair.
I bought a '71 Custom Camper/20 in '88 with camper. It was a very nice well optioned all original truck, so when I did dual exhaust I stayed with the rams horns. On a trip to the Grand Canyon one of the rams horns blew out through the side. I limped it down to Flagstaff to a muffler shop. None of the junkyards had rams horns and no quality headers were in town, so we went with cheap headers. This was '89 and they were still on it in '04 when I stopped driving it.

I had a '72 K/20 with rams horns. One day it got real loud after going over a bridge joint on the interstate. One of the rams horns had cracked all the around where it collects allowing the exhaust pipe to drop clear off.

I have had more issues with rams horns than headers. I hate dealing with those carnsounded studs and don't know a single exhaust guy who doesn't hate that,too. When a donut gasket starts to leak it's a bad day in my life. One of my most dreaded repairs to do. When a header collector gasket blows I just over tighten the bolts to shear them. It's a 15 minute repair. I don't understand where all the negative attitude for headers comes from. Maybe my experience has been unusual. we're talking 44 years and who knows how many vehicles. I don't hate manifolds and I don't care if people prefer to run them. I prefer headers

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote