View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #657
roll_the_dice

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

OK...vent/saga time FiTech EFI (SUCKS)--this may be long

For those that have Fitech I hope you have better luck than I have.

I bought my engine as a package with manual T56 Tremec trans and FiTech EFI in mid 2017. As builds go, by the time I got the engine installed, the Fitech was out of warranty. Got my truck back on the road in November of 2020. Took the truck to a restoration shop for exhaust and to charge my A/C. They are a certified FiTech dealer...that is why I chose them. I also wanted them to fine tune the FiTech. They can't tune the FiTech correctly...they had the truck for over 2 months. They finally call me and say it is ready and running good...the day before Thanksgiving...truck died on my way home at about 7PM and I had to have it towed home! (the restoration shop is a whole different ball of wax for another day).

I reloaded the FiTech to factory defaults on Thanksgiving it starts but runs like crap. Talk to FiTech on Monday, they have me tweak a few things...not much better...I do a lot of research and trial and error and get it to run, but according to FiTech IAC should be between 3-10...mine is 0-4..no big deal really except I set idle at 780 and it won't idle below 850 or so with idle screws backed out with no pressure on butterflies. Cold start, the whole point of EFi is a joke...will not crank without throttle and won't stay cranked until engine gets over 100 degrees. Fitech has no clue about customer service nor do they care. They have told me it sounds like a blown head gasket (it's not), vacuum leaks (nope), etc etc...anything but a faulty product. I know it is out of warranty and was willing to pay them to fix it, but they won't even offer that and when I suggested it, they ignore me.

I have had to reload software at least a dozen times just to get it cranked in my driveway...something dies and won't restart...no rhyme or reason.

Truck dies on me a few weeks ago had to tow it home with a tow strap luckily I was only a mile from home. The truck has just died driving down the road at least 3 times...sometimes it will restart sometimes it won't.

Occasionally, I can get IAC set correctly (like yesterday) between 4-6...get in today to go out, still have cold start issues and IAC today was at 130 at engine warm!

I have emailed fitech a few times a week every week since November. They have now stopped responding to all communication...won't return a call or email....they really have no clue.

I have talked to Holley about their Sniper, but I am gun shy. I may go to a carb and call it a day...tuck my tail between my legs and go old school.

I am not doing the story justice...Fitech just out and out sucks....mine at least sucks and does not work as advertised. Lesson learned I guess...don't buy the hi-tech gadget until I am ready to install...1 year warranty is great if you put it on and run it day 1...but at this point I am not even sure they would uphold their warranty either. How do you ignore a customer completely?

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 03-15-2021 at 12:34 PM.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote