View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #18
CSHADES

Re: Rebuilding my 1977 plow truck

So to repair the rear window area I had to figure out if I was going to make a piece to repair it or find something similar to weld in. I have a couple of metal brakes but sometimes I can be lazy and look for better/faster way of doing something. The other thing that I had to figure out was the cowl area. The cab was a 82 and my front end is a 77 so the cowl is different with the hinge pockets. I did a lot of research on doing this swap before I actually did anything. Most of what I read on here and other places was just weld some metal over the top of the hinge holes and call it good. That bothered me for a few reasons, the main thing to me as I said at the beginning of this thread was I have problem with things not looking correct. So all that being said my options were to cut up my plow truck to get the cowl pieces and the rear window repair piece I needed or find another 73-80 parts truck. Guess what happened? I was on my way home one day and saw the neighbor had pulled one of his dads GMC/Chev trucks out of the woods and parked by the garage. I have known this family since I was about 12 and I knew the granddad had went into a nursing home and the grand daughter was living there. But everytime I went by there was never any one around. So one Saturday I was coming home from work and I saw the garage door was open and there was a loader tractor running around the property. So I stopped in and the son was moving dirt away from the wall of the garage next to the GMC truck. So I finally got his attention and told him I was interested in the truck for parts. I asked him what his plans were for it and he told me basically that he was going to pull the engine/trans out of it and scrap the rest. So I ended up making a deal that I would pull the engine/trans out for him if I could have the rest of the truck. I came back to town and grabbed the tow truck from the shop and picked up the truck that afternoon. I towed it home and was going to back it on to my hoist so I could disassemble it carefully and take my time. The problem with that plan was I jumped out of the tow truck to open my garage door and saw a couple of mice sticking their heads out of the rusty cab corners. So I decided I really didn't want that truck inside of the building. This was the middle of October 2015 which thankfully was a very nice weekend and I cut the whole truck up in 2 days and got it out of there. I sadly didn't take any pics of that truck because I was in such a hurry to get it gone. It was a 79 GMC heavy half.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote