View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Re: Seeking Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
LOL I am more than 100% certain Martin was throwing shade on using late model frames as swaps, not buying a 15-20+k custom built frame from a custom frame builder.
I am not directing this at you or anyone in particular so please guys read my recommendations as recommendations and not attacks. I am giving advice that may be needed, if not by the OP but by others thinking about a "frame swap."

But I am referring to both custom built frames as well as using a frame from another truck, BOTH of them really depend on many things. I can't stress enough, my opinion is that there IS a place for this, there IS a place for swapping the frame where it is the best choice.

But buying a new custom built frame sure isn't needed, modify the stock one for goodness sakes. Unless you are truly building a "show car" kinda thing that will have mirrors under it (yes I have done this) then putting an IRS on your stock frame is all you need. You don't need to box it, not unless you plan on dragging it with slicks and an 800 hp motor.

Upgrade the stock frame as far as you need, there are steps, stop where you need to. Brakes, ok, if that's all you need, stop, power steering, if that's all you need, stop, lower it, put a dropped axle, then stop, "need" IRS, put in an aftermarket hotrod IRS and stop, done deal, a little trimming on the inner fenders and you are done.

The whole swapping the frame out for one that doesn't fit, then modifying every single damn thing to MAKE it fit where it doesn't belong doesn't make sense to me unless you REALLY need it. You want the baddest ass work truck for your contracting job, you will be towing trailers with equipment on it, hell yeah, a bad ass late AD with a 1990 1500 Silverado chassis under it, hell yeah, right on! NEVER have I said that there is no need for it.

You have some rusty AD floor all gone, frame pitted with rust to crap, hell yeah, put a modern frame under it with it dropped on the ground with an air suspension, cool, you got it.

But the crazy level it's gone where EVERYONE thinks they MUST have a "modern frame" to drive on "Modern highways" (I want to puke when I hear that term) is wrong and it hurts people. It hurts them, people without an understanding the big picture I have laid out are HURT because they cut up their truck and don't get it done, or don't do a good job, or are sick to their stomach after they move into the community and see what the did before they learned what they REALLY need.

This is all I am saying, and with the OP in this thread having a truck his dad drove as a work truck that the OP rode in looking over at his dad shifting when he was a little boy, I am sorry, I really think that is how it should stay.

I can't make it clear enough, this is my OPINION, we all have one, and I am thankful we do or a car show would be damn boring full of the same car.

I just toss out more info so that those thinking about it make the right decision for them and their OPINION of what they really need.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote