View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #43
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Re: Kizer and his 65 here

I call this the off the boards back on all 4's post.

UPS last told me that my U-bolts would be here tomorrow, but since they arrived I just had to install them so I could push the truck back since its hogging part of my wife's parking spot in the garage.

Is it just me or do they appear to be freaking HUGE? I couldn't believe how big they where when I took them out of the box. I thought damn where they really this big when I cut the last ones off? Yep it appears so.

As well I figured I might as well get the rear cover back on since I need to fill it up full of lube soon and my excuse earlier was that the pinion angle is way off since there is nothing to set the pinion. I went a little clean happy and well hit all of the cover bolts with a wire wheel mounted on my grinder.

Before

After

I did notice something that I thought was a bit odd. When you use the U-bolts they run over the axle, through the control arm and connect to the lower shock mount like shown in the below picture.

However the U-bolts came with some rather thick fender type washers that are used on the bottom of the lower shock mount. They simply do not fit so I had to clearance them a little bit with the grinder. I just took off some of the material on one side so it would fit inside the lower shock mount.

While I was at it I installed a new vent for the axle. The old one was covered with a lot of dried up grease or at least I think it was.

The pictures/flash really point out things I seem to need to address in the future. You know the red/rust color things that aren't black. Some day I sware. hahahaha

Next I just need to tighten everything down and fill up the rear with some gear lube. What happens after that I'm not really sure. I know I need to push the frame back under the bed so the wife can have back some of her parking area since she nearly hits the truck every time she pulls in. I guess I'll throw on some more bolts on the bed while I look for more things to replace. The budget is getting really slim and I might have to just do little things that do not require funds for a while.

Now that I look at the photos I should pull off the other bolts and give them the wire brush treatment. Just have to see what I can steel brush and what I can't so they don't rust.