Thread: jimmy build
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
70 beast
Certified Hobbiest

jimmy build

so about a 2-3 month ago i got a call from my dad saying he found a truck for $750 that he thought id be interested in and asked if i wanted to go check it out. of course there's always time to go see a one of these trucks. turns out to be a 71 gmc jimmy that's been sitting since '02. its got some rust but nothing that can't be cut out . so the next day my dad calls me up n asks if i want to get it....hmmm. at the time i had 70 gmc k25, and a 87 s15 so my only concern was where to put it? my apartment has already given me 7 noise complaints from my 70, and that's just from me idling into a parking spot ( 496 and 3" exhaust don't do well with grouchy neighbors). after a buddy said i could keep it at his house, i called my dad up n said lets go get that truck. so fast forward to now, the trucks been moved from 3 cities and is now at my parents where i get to work on it whenever i can/want. its got 3/4 ton axles (looking for 60 on the cheap) new trans (sm465/205) and some body work. the intended purpose of this truck was to get my girl into this type of hobby and so far its working...so now on to the pictures

here it is when we got it to its first home in a town north of the town where i live. starting specs were 350/350/205/ d44/12 bolt with some shot snow tires up front(which came off asap) and some decent 31's out back. full removable top etc.

my girl painted the rear half of the truck (not bad for her first time painting)

decided to run 52's up front so i ordered diy4x's spring hangers

here's a shot of the inside cleaned out and the sm465 in after the swap

got a good deal on a Eaton h052 with a 072 third member in it. 4:57 gears but no locker

took out the old 12 bolt, threw in the Eaton, found out the front axle was going to turn into a money pit
so drove 8 hours for a d44 w/ a Detroit that i had sitting in storage and put on the 8 lug parts. and this is how it sat last time i got pictures.

now i do have one question...or two.
when i swapped on the 8 lug parts and went to go put my locking hubs back in i ran into a problem. i asked my dad and he thinks because the 8 lug parts came off a 85 burb 3/4 with auto hubs that i need to get new locking hubs. i checked out how much they were and seen that there was a spindle nut kit of some sort that needs to be used when swapping in manual hubs from auto. has anyone run into this problem and if so what do i need to do?
(oh and the 8 lug parts also are off a 8 lug ten bolt. i was told that its all the same.)

Last edited by 70 beast; 06-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.
70 beast is offline   Reply With Quote