View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #21
In The Ten Ring

Re: Battery cable video. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The heat shrink with glue doesn't need to contact the wire. Strip off enough insulation to get the wire fully into the connector, if there's a little gap between the insulation and connector it's not the end of the world as the shrink tubing will cover it. Speaking of, slip some shrink tubing over the wire, push wire into connector as far as it'll go, crimp, use heat gun on shrink tubing. Done.

About shrink tubing with glue. I've only used one type and the glue was basically a thin layer of hot glue, my buddy used to work for a defense contractor and snagged a bunch. Anyway that stuff required a bit more heat than the average shrink tube available in the electrical aisle at pep boys. Something you may want to keep in mind or if you're that worried about it do a test run on a scrap piece of wire to see when the glue melts and how much heat the shrink tubing can take.

Very good suggestion, thanks! I ordered a bunch which will give me room for testing. I will try to use a heat gun but could use propane torch if needed.

Here is my dad's crimper.....it is adjustable for different gauge wires. What do you guys think?

*My cell phone is just a flip phone, not very large.
Attached Images

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote