View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Rocker studs coming out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
It does indeed look like your studs are pulling out. Three solutions. All of which I have performed at one time or another.

#1 - simplest is to drive them back down and pin them. Which involves drilling through the stud boss and the stud, then driving in a roll pin. You can buy a drill bit and set of pins for $10. Have to be careful not to mushroom the top of the stud of course. They used to make a special tool which drove on the center of the stud top when you hammer them down. Have not seen one in a while. You can also thread on a couple old rocker nuts and hammer on those.

#2 - next is to buy a stud puller, tap the holes, and install a set of straight double thread studs with no hex. Then reinstall your rocker components.

#3 - best option is to pull the heads, have a shop pull the studs, have them tap the holes and machine the top of the bosses down for studs with a hex. This is a good time to have them round out the push rods holes and install some guide plates. And yes.That is the best time to have them thoroughly checked over. Guides, flatness, seat wear, etc ...
I have done option #1 many times. Even while the heads are still on the engine in the truck. I have put a nut on the stud and used a brass hammer to tap down the studs.

Use a shop vac to suck up the metal shavings when you drill and also stick rags in the drain back holes just in case.

The rocker studs do not go into any water jackets on SBC heads that I am aware of. The lower head bolts along the bottom of the outside of the heads do.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote