View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #113
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I hope it proves helpful as this seems to be a very popular swap with very little information available outside the 67-72 community.

I’m taking a lunch break at the moment. This morning I scrubbed down the bead blasted parts with wax and grease remover, and shot them with U-Pol Acid/Etch primer. While the primer was drying I used steel wool and WD40 to clean up the retaining pin and spring that hold the pedal to the bell crank. After about 30 minutes dry time under the heat lamps I followed up with 3 coats of Martin Senour 7239 Gloss Black I picked up at Napa Auto. This isn’t a very good picture, but the parts look great in real life. . With the parts cooking under the lamps I got started on squaring up the cable mounting hole in the firewall.

The help insure the cable hole came out square and level, I started out by making a template/guide. I applied a length of 2” masking tape to one of my wife’s cutting boards. A ½” square was marked and cut out freehand with an Xacto knife.

It was lined up and stuck over the 1/2” hole:

There was less to remove than I expected, and the corners were filed out quickly. It occurred to me I have a 400 grit stone in my stash, so I checked and sure enough it is exactly ½” square. It was used for a go/no go gauge until it slipped through. Now I have a nice 400 grit polish on the edges of the opening.

After lunch I’ll reassemble the pedal assembly and connect the cable. The only hold up now is waiting for the carburetor anchor bracket to arrive. It should be here today or tomorrow.

Back to work!

Last edited by markeb01; 04-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote