View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #117
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

After vacuuming up the last of the mess the cable was slipped in place and the pedal assembly installed. The cable remained loose until the carb connections were complete to allow for best routing.

Here’s a shot of the finished install from the driver’s seat after everything was connected. The gas pedal is just about centered half way between the brake pedal and the transmission hump. I don’t really want the eye drawn to the shiny silver mounting nuts so I’m going to etch prime and paint them gloss black:

Here are before and after shots from the passenger side:

Compared to the aluminum pedal the never version is certainly unimportant looking, but it does work much better. It’s very smooth, provides a more precise response from the engine than the old setup, and allows a more natural positioning of the foot.

The interior changes from start to finish took longer to write up and take pictures of than it did to perform the actual modifications. Compressed into actual working time it probably took less than a couple of hours to do the whole thing.

The carburetor bracket and the Chevelle disc brake pad showed up at the same time, so I took a quick look to see it I could slip the pad on before moving to the engine. Not a chance. While it looks similar to the 71-72 pad, it is unfortunately about a ¾ scale version. To use it would require cutting at least ¼” off all four sides of the steel support and that’s more work than it’s worth to me. I may still pull the emblem however and install that on the 71-72 brake pedal pad, unless I go with the stainless trim designed for the 71-72 pedals.

The pad I picked did in fact turn out to be an exact duplicate of the OEM version. The emblem curvature, shine, and printing are perfect. Post #12 on the following link shows the quality of the others I had to choose from:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516373

I’m going to be adding new 71-72 brake and clutch pedal pads, but I’m not sure about the stainless trim. Opinions are welcome on whether the 71-72 trim would be an improvement or not on all three pedals.

Next up, the engine connections.

Last edited by markeb01; 03-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote