View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #42
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
Quite the intake manifold on that 8.1. Is that an LS to the left Larry?

I know Bill wouldn't want to get rid of that nice Ram Charger, I was just thinking someone else could drive the 'Burb and it could hold the whole kitchen with food and drink and then some!

So, if it was built more or less like the 78, how do you think it would do on the trails you've gone on? Too long, or do-able with rear skid protection?
Don,

Yeah, those 8.1L’s have huge runners. Zoo hit the nail on the head with the engines in the back ground. The engine in the bag is a Gen V 7.4L headed into my FIL’s ’93 C1500 Sportside. Hopefully, we can get the LS engine stuffed into Zoo’s K5 soon as well. His LS is sitting in a crate to the left of the 8.1L that you can actually see it in one of the other pictures above (it is burried under boxes and ice chests). Plus Zoo has an 8.1L in his garage in a big wooden box that needs to come home to me!

The Suburban would probably do just fine where we go but it has a long way to go before it is ready for anything like that. The stock height, open diffs and 3:42 gears aren’t going to cut it. We don’t do major crazy rock crawling stuff. That is not what we are into (Anybody with a credit card can build a beater rock crawler to haul around to each trail on a trailer). That is not for us, we just like to go wayyyy out in the remote areas for several days at a time to see the true natural beauty this planet has to offer that most people will never see. The places where you can hear the silence ringing your ears, coyotes, wild horses, wild donkeys, etc. keeping you nervous at night and easily spot satellites and the space station flyover head. For this you need to have a vehicle with above average off-roadability but more importantly reliability. Most of the places we go a person just can’t walk out of without spending a night or two before you see the next human. Forget about calling a tow truck. You know how desolate Arizona and Utah are. Colorado isn’t as bad as long as it is hunting season. Just keep walking down a mountain long enough and you will surely find some Texan riding a $15,000 ATV to give you a ride to the nearest highway
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote