View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #23
jocko

Re: Transfer case question: Manual vs Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
If you have the Eaton G80 Locker in your rear axle DO NOT use limited slip additive. Some Gear lubes have Limited Slip Additive already in the witches brew so I'd look carefully at the bottle.
See TSB 91-4-109

Honestly any decent quality 75W90 Synthetic GL5 gear oil will work in both axles as long as it doesn't have Limited Slip additive. $18 is too high for the pretty Delco label when I can get Mobil 1 or Valvoline or Castrol or Pennzoil 75W90 GL5 Synthetic for a much more reasonable price.
Another timely note Hatzie - The Mobil1 Synthetic 75W90 Diff lub I bought indeed does have some tiny print that states "Limited Slip Friction Modifier Included" (and also states safer for conventional and limited slip differentials)

I do have a G80 locker, so it it appears I'll be heading back to visit the ol pep boys yet again (for a refund) and ordering the ACDelco stuff from Summit, regardless of price. I haven't yet found anything other than ACDelco that doesn't have the LS additive blurb in small print. I think there's often confusion between diff oil "for LS axles" and diff oil "to which one adds an LS additive" - but if I'm reading the TSB correctly, G80 is a unique animal and should have no LS additive in it (to include not being an LS blend at purchase). As far as I can tell so far, only ACDelco, and maybe Lucas, are the only ones that aren't for LS rears or with LS additives. Pretty confusing. I'm tempted to wait a few more days to change my oil in case any more TSBs show up that tell me I'm missing the boat yet again... Ha. Thanks again for posting this info.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote