View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #162
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

I was able to knock a few more things off the list. I rebuilt my steering column and repainted it, got my Borgeson ujoint steering shaft cut to length, powder coated and installed. Man having my own sandblasting cabinet and powder coating gun saves me a lot of time and hassle.

I ran into one weird problem. After I installed my steering column my shifter linkage to my 700 r4 was about 1" short. Its weird because it is the original, trans is original and so is the steering column. So how could it no longer have enough length??

So I took the rod out and I noticed the bottom side of the rod where it connects to the trans side was ground down. When I had my frame powder coated a few years back i brought the powder coater some smaller parts to also be done, this rod was one of them. But the bottom side of the rod does not have powder coat on it and you can see the blue hot marks from a grinder. Unless I blacked out one day in the garage and ground it myself, i have no recollection of grinding the bottom, and why would I? And I have no idea why the powder coating place would have ground that themselves, unless they completely messed something up and grinding 1" off was better than telling me something happened. WHo knows.

So I guess what I will do now is by some similar rod and weld on about 1" to the bottom and repowder coat it myself.

So that will be next on the list and then the steering system will be finished.
After that is done, I will dive more into the interior wiring until the weather gets better over here and then start working on the bed floor.

Paul
Attached Images

44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote