View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #655
LT7A

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I understand your feelings toward period correct, and truly appreciate retro styling.
My objective with this build is to retain retro styling with contemporary updates. The American Racing VF527 wheel design is a perfect example that. It emulates the 80s AR Vector, yet comes in 2k sizes.

Initially I had plans to keep the 454 with a retro look, and update it with modern amenities. I wanted to add the Holley Terminator fuel injection, and a late model O/D transmission. Unfortunately all of that come with a price tag and it has to be made to work together.

Dollar for dollar the Gen III, IV or even Gen V motors offers a LOT more bang for the buck. No its not nostalgic, and swaps are common as dirt. Initially it will double or possibly triple my expense. In the end the reliability of these later motors and the capability to easily add HP/TQ is a big attraction.

Dont dispare though. Until I can find the right donor, I plan to keep the 454 and make it look pretty.
I follow all of that and am nearly on the same page. My comment isn't meant to talk you out of what you want to do. I am just particularly enamored of the old big blocks. Gregski's foray into A/F management has me wondering just what could be gotten out of the ravenous beasts with today's tuning tools and aftermarket parts design.

I think the tip-over point for me going to an LS based motor is if I find myself thinking about springing for FI (like your situation) and considering spending $1700 +/- on aftermarket heads, then the LS swap becomes pretty compelling.

I look forward to the 454 beautification process, even if it's temporary. And I'll jump out of the way with the side discussion so you can continue with your updates.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote