View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #473
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I’ve been reading threads on a variety of forums today and this appears to be a pretty common solution to the problem of vehicles that sit for extended periods. Just charge the system with the electric pump, turn it off, and start the engine. I’m going to go for it too. I’ve been researching fuel pumps all day trying to determine what’s most compatible and reliable.

I’m also realizing some of my history with failed electric pumps may be my own fault. A relay electrical system is required to guarantee a full 12 volts at the pump to keep it from overheating (which I never did previously), and they also need a filter between the tank and the pump (which I only did some of the time). It needs to be 100 microns; nothing finer or the restriction can also cause the pump to overheat. A finer filter (5-10 microns) belongs after the pump and before the carb.

So I’m researching what’s a suitable (and affordable) filter and pump. I already have spare relays, sockets and wiring so there’s no cost involved for that part of it.

I’m thinking it might also be cheap insurance to replace my original fuel pump that’s 20 years old, since nothing lasts forever. The big decision here is whether to go with a replacement 1967-1981 sealed pump which costs less that $20 (which is what I currently have), or go with an earlier 1965 style pump which comes with NPT fittings and can be disassembled and clocked. I could eliminate two rubber lines and 4 hose clamps which would look cleaner, but the pump is over twice as expensive and will also require forming new hard lines coming in and heading out to the carburetor. This option would also require having the fuel lines open for a longer period while everything is fitted, and I absolutely hate working with dripping gasoline.

Haven’t got the answer yet but I’m sure looking forward to having an engine that’s easy to start – all of the time! This is what I love about this forum. Once again another member has shared something I didn't know that helps out with my own build. Thanks again to 66-PMD-GMC and everyone else that contributes here!

Last edited by markeb01; 12-09-2012 at 11:18 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote