View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 03:50 AM   #106
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Hey guys, a small update and some questions regarding oil canning on the roof vs panel flexing.

I have stripped the cab down to bare steal, welded the rear cab seam, drip rails and rear molding holes. The only place where the metal sunk in due to heat from welding was on the passenger side next to the welded body seam. I have already pulled that out, it was in about 1/32". In the pictures you will see where there are some low spots and some high spots all mark "L" and "H" for high and low. I also marked where the roof is oil canning. When I push on the those spots it pops in and comes right out, it does not stay pushed in. Then there are two spots (passenger side front) where I can push on the roof and it will flex in to touch the inner roof panel but zero oil canning.

The low spots are not major dents and could easily be skim coated but I want to get the oil canning out which should take care of the highs and lows hopefully resulting in not needing any or maybe a see through skim coat of filler.

Then below the rear window back panel you can see in the pictures where all the highs are. In between those highs the panel has some flex to it but no oil canning. I am hoping my shrinking disc that I ordered can take care of those high spots and tighten up the waves on the back panel.

So my question is in regard to the panel flex and oil canning on the roof.

1. Should I worry about the panel flexing on the right front roof or is that normal? The center of the roof is very stiff with zero flex. Should the entire roof be this way or is there a brace under that section?

2. Is it bad to leave any oil canning on the roof if the metal is not floppy or stays pushed in? My guess is that you want to remove all oil canning because that is a sign that the metal is not actually in the shape it should be.

Let me know what you guys think my next move should be. Pics below.

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images

44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote