View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
ABCEDERWALL

Angry 1972 Chevy Blazer Ignition Switch Smoking

So I have a problem. Just picked up 72 blazer with stick 350 and has the gauge cluster no tach, not the idiot light cluster. My temp gauge and my ammeter gauge currently do not work. Everything else works fine. I’ve spent the last 2 weekends troubleshooting the 2 gauges and am striking out!

For my temp gauge, my dark green wire goes from gauge cluster harness connector all the way to the temp sensor sending unit on the cylinder block as it should. Replaced the sending unit and still doesn’t work?

For my ammeter gauge, there is a black wire and a black/white wire that both run from the gauge cluster harness connector to the engin compartment. The black/white wire connects to the red wire running to the battery and has a soldered in-line 4 amp fuse. The fuse is good. The black wire runs to the positive battery terminal. My ammeter gauge stays smack dab in the middle and doesn’t move, even with the battery disconnected?

The 3rd problem I have is tonight when I get as laying on the floorboard and looking up under the dash, I was turning the key on and noticed smoke bellowing out of my key ignition switch housing! So, I disconnected the battery and removed my key ignition switch and took it apart to see what the smoke was coming from. It looks like the metal leg that the ACC (Big brown wire and little brown with white wire) and the SOL (big purple wire) connect to melted in half? What would cause this??
Any help would be much appreciated!!

Here are pictures:
Attached Images

ABCEDERWALL is offline   Reply With Quote