View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #123
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I posted a thread on the main board yesterday with my concerns about this project stagnating. I have concerns that I'm getting to a point where I will stop and fret over what to do next. I really want to keep the momentum going, but can't really afford to have all the bodywork completed and the whole thing painted right now. I would like to get the inside of the cab, the door jambs, the window openings and firewall painted, but even that may be out of my price range now because I'm not real confident on doing the prep work myself. I have a cheap spray gun that may be ok for primer. My garage could work to spray in if I hauled out most of the parts so I had more room to move around. I never did plan on painting it myself, but would like to do as much prep as I can. Partly because of personal pride in the work, partly for cost savings.

This is new territory for me. I've never had a car repainted before, let alone a complete color change inside and out. I look at it now, knowing I need to start doing some sanding and filling, and I just don't know where to start. Any input would be appreciated.

As far as progress goes, I got my headers yesterday. I bought them direct from Holley Performance though their ebay store. There was no picture on the listing. I got them for a great price and don't have any regrets, YET. The finish was ceramic coated, but there is something on it that looks kinda like overspray, but may be dried up polishing compound from when they were built. Turns out they were on the shelf at Holley for the past 9 years. They are new, but not recently new. Anyway, it took me about an hour to clean up one of them, and I still have to do more on it. I finally figured out what will work, a green scrub pad and mothers mag polish, though another polish would probably work too. What didn't work, turtle wax wheel cleaner, simple green, brake cleaner, spray carb cleaner, etc. I tried in out of sight areas.

The green pad cuts the stuff off and it cleans up ok, it's just elbow grease.

The cleaned up one is one the right, not sure if you can see it in the pic or not.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-01-2009 at 06:50 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote