View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #124
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Nobody has an opinion on body work direction, or nobody is reading, oh well, back to the grind.

Another of those days where you seem to be working but not much is getting done. I wanted to get the steering column in today. I rebuilt a van tilt column a while back, but it still was not quite ready. It looked great, but I still had to move the neutral safety switch. I was going to try it without moving it, but it's just up too high on the column and interferes with the brake rod/pedal and keeps the column to far into the dash. So I did complete moving the switch.

The next obstacle was those rubber parts or grommets on the column. Here's a tip for anyone working on a new replacement column, you need to put those rubber grommet things on before the main shaft with shifter lever poking out the side. That way you won't have to cut them to install later. The cuts should not be visible or a problem once installed.

The last issue (I think), is the wiring. My connector was cut off, the wire colors are not all a direct match. So I need to do a little research and splice in the wiring connector. I should be able to get the column in then and working.

I cleaned and painted the steering shaft between the column and rag joint, so that's ready to go. I installed the upper radiator hose. I also worked on some parts that are for sale. So even though I didn't complete the job I wanted to do, I still made progress.

And for those of you thinking about seeing that new Johnny Depp movie about Dilinger, it's OK, but would I pay $50 plus for admission and popcorn to see it again, NO.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote