View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
longorange68

250 Inline 6 Performance Build Q's---Hello Brad---

Hey all,

Got a 1968 Chevy C-10 with a 250 inline, SM465, and a 3.73 posi in the rear. I have been off again on again about the powertrain for sometime regarding this truck... First an LT1/4L60E combo I had sitting in my garage, then a 406 SBC/TH400 (which are still sitting in my garage BTW), LS1/T-56, and most recently a late model 5.3/4L60E. All would be good candidates, but for some reason I feel a connection to the old six I can't get over. I've ridden in a lot of different trucks powered by a lot of different powerplants, but I feel at home in my P.O.S. 68 with the inline, makes going down the road kind of special. (Don't mean to get all weepy, I'm 31 and have had her since I was 15, she's family.) My great grandfather taught me all about working on her, as we wrenched on his 68 with a 292, I'd just hate to lose the memories. There will be plenty of time to build another rig that can scare the s--t of me later...

I would like the truck to have a decent amount of power, but I realize that it's not a big block too. As far as trannies go, I am still up in the air. A 700R4 would be nice because of the overdrive, but Brad from the board has a pretty cool combo with his T-5 setup too which should make decent mileage.

Keep in mind that my knowledge is limited as far as performance reagrding the inlines. Here are my questions.

---The engine is all original, and I would like to rebuild it. What do you recommend for internals? I have looked at the Clifford website and checked out the price of their rebuild kits. Are they worth the price?

---Who makes the best headers? Is a split header better than a one piece header?

---Any recommendation on intakes? I know that the water heated one's help fuel atomization, but who makes the better product? Clifford or Offenhauser or someone I've never heard of?

---Any pro's or con's regarding tranny selection?

Thanks in advance,
Josh in Longview, WA

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote