Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #17
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Had some time to check out the 54 cab yesterday. I wanted to see what kind of "pig" I bought. Well the floor seemed good from the bottom and the top.
IMG_1764 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

But then I found the fiberglass.
IMG_1763 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

That tell tale crosshatch pattern just did not make my day. I checked it from the engine bay side and it's not visible there, just steel, so I need to get the fiberglass gone to see what problem I have there. I also found fiberglass inside the cab, below the floor level at the back two cab corners. On the outside rear cab corners I found rust and some bondo.
IMG_1760 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I knew about this bondo from when I picked it up.
IMG_1758 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Then I found a couple more things to make it interesting.
IMG_1759 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

IMG_1761 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I definitely have a "pig", just don't know if I can make a silk purse out of it.

I started looking at sheet metal parts today. I'm looking at LMC, CMW Trucks, Classic Parts and GMCPauls Truck Parts.

Since I'm new here, any direction to the better quality, price, etc. would be appreciated.

I think I can get rid of the bondo with a cupped wire brush, but HOW do you clean out the fiberglass? Media blast it? I know I've got to get it down to bare metal to figure out what I really have and whether or not it is worth trying to rebuild, given my NOOBIE skill level.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote