View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #14
jlsanborn

Re: "The Crummy" - '77 K30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Chevy4x4 View Post
So between us we have grenaded 5 of them. They have such a bad reputation in my offroad group that they are referred to as "gov-bombs". I still say they aren't very durable or effective over about a 32" tire. I've had such poor service from them that I will not run one in anything I take off road anymore. Then again I've never been accused of having a light foot or driving finesse!

Selectable is nice, but a Detroit is much cheaper and I personally haven't seen one break in a 14ff.

Mike
Hear that. I've also heard them called Gov-Bombs. I can tell ya that my original one saw "reasonable service" for the 10-15 years that I ran it. Dunno how much use it'd seen before me but I would bet it was commercial. I rodded on it plenty too. I did swap the old 350 4bbl to a "mild" 454, lifted and switched from a 265 to a 315 (31" to 35"). That was a big tree too and the Boy is a lead foot. We were half loaded and he did this big roll-back thing in 4L with big wood on the line - lemme say YANK! That Dana 60 was bouncing off the ground with the secondary's open (need video this year). That said, I trashed two of them last year and I'm just fixin to go after some more big-boys again (got a winch and a total of 450' of wire rope now baby!). If I lose another one I'll for sure upgrade. I'd need to grab an open-carrier to do the Detroit or some other lunch-box. Maybe just Lincoln-lock an open?? I have to admit, when I swapped them G80's I simply slapped my old ring gear and bolts on to the bone-yard carrier, jammed the carrier into the pinion tight, then backed it off one or two holes. Fresh oil and full throttle!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote