Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #25
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
It sure looks like you are doing a pretty good job.

You were asking about welding and I'm no expert, but I have some pretty good experience welding sheet metal and light duty stuff with MIG.

It looks like some of your welds were not 'hot' enough. Or they were not penetrating enough. I saw the picture of your welder above and tried to look it up. Is it the Lotos MIG 140 with your giant bottle of Argon or Argon/CO2?

Have any of your welds burned through? Or any problem burning through when you are trying to fill gaps? If not...I would turn it up and see what happens.

You did a hell of a job wire wheeling that frame. I would have given up on that. I took most of my pieces to get sand blasted.

Thanks man, the frame was a back breaking, long, dirty job and I would never suggest doing this again unless your frame is already pretty clean... I read over and over how ugly of a job it is and I still ignored that advice to sandblast and tried saving money. But honestly I would suggest sandblasting and powder coating/painting instead.

Yes that is a Lotos MIG 140, borrowed from my neighbor, and he got that giant bottle filled for like $40. He always finds deals like that...

So my welds. I used the recommended settings and turned the heat up a little bit when I was testing. Seems like if I turn it up anymore it just wants to burn through the old sheet metal and even sometimes the new sheet metal. I really don't know what I'm doing except what I have researched. Eastwood has some nice video tutorials on welding sheet metal but I still feel like I need help.

And if my welds are cold, does that mean I have to cut my new panels off and do them again??? I'm skeered of this answer....

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote