View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
56hotrodred

Re: what i've been up to

Thanks all for the advise. I like the idea of of simply relocating the perch & pin. I am also thinking of cutting of an inch or so of the rear frame rails to get the box closer to the cab as it is now about 2 inches away. It actually does not bother me where it is now sitting but if it gets me closer to 57ToyBox's measurements that looks way to easy. Like I said I am probably going to change the entire rear suspension at some point so will have to cut the rivets off anyway.

Hey 57ToyBox thanKs for the comments on the shop. I have been trying to put some money into my shop which is actually inside a barn built in 1949. It has been one of my pet projects for almost the entire 20 years we have been living here - to fix the barn up unfortunately the wife does not place it as quit a high priority as I do - lol. I have added a tractor shed onto the east end which makes the building 98 feet long in total. Last year I got concrete poured in the center section - where my truck is sitting now - and that made all the difference in the world. The less gravel in the barn the better as the darn cats think it is all their litter box. None of it is insulated yet but that may start with the tractor shed next year and then the centre section. I will then be in heaven. I have attached a few picture that show the tractor shed attached to the barn. The 1 1/2 ton chevy I bought for the cab and rest of the front end. I have to give the frame and hoist back. It was a pretty good deal for a few hundred bucks I thought and came from my neighbour. I really needed the drivers door so I hooked onto it with my tractor and pulled it home.

By the way hotrodsbyray I have been collecting information on POR 15 and although I did not see information on the primer as being essential for my application there is certainly a specific treatment required - don't have the info in front of me - for the bare metal prior to painting with POR. If not followed the result is peeling as you say. Because I have to do this in stages I like the do-it-yourself POR treatment rather than powder coating. I can fix things as I go. I will check into it further before I get after it. I hope to be on the frame next summer.

Orie I love your build and manage to get down into northern Montana and Idaho a fair bit as I really like the country and it is pretty close. I live right above Glacier Nation Park and just east of Waterton Park in Canada. Every time I am down in northern Idaho I seem to see lots of old Chevys either parked or driving around.

Again thanks guys this is a great site and after trying many others I spend most of time on this one.

56hotrodred
Attached Images

56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote