View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #30
Maximus

Re: My Build - 1955 2nd Series Short Bed Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
Was that front glass as hard as it looks? I'm not looking forward to mine and was thinking of paying a glass shop to get it in. I'm still recoiling from a bad windshield experience from several years ago...I actually thought it would be a good idea to have my wife help me with the one in my 79 TA. Needless to say it reqired TWO windshields...
It actually wasnt as bad as i thought... easier than the rear wrap-around (which i STILL cant get the darn locking strip in...)
I have never done windows before tackling my rear, then front glass.
The windshield was an older piece of glass, I cut it out of my doner '59 cab that USED to be my small window cab before i swapped cabs.

the most time spent was getting the rubber on the glass, getting the 'extra' rubber properly alligned with each side (the rubber that wraps around the interior sides and top) and getting the trim set in the rubber. After all of that was done i put the glass in. the glass didnt take more than 30 minutes to get in, and another hour or two getting the last corner in (could not for the life of me get the last corner in! had to use a suction cup in the middle of the class to pull the glass toward the corner, I think i was not 100% centered when i started in the lower passenger corner so when i got to the drivers corner it was hanging out of the opening ...

I did the same rope trick that most of the people in the forums have mentioned, and had a second person on the outside putting pressure on the glass. As i finished the last corner, i POUNDED with an open palm on the glass to get it in. I think having 20+ year old glass helped as its probably thicker (even though its scratched and has a couple small chips) it survived my hits like a champ.

all-in-all it wasn't THAT hard, you just have to be very patient, do some searches on windshield installs, there are alot of discussions in the 60-66 forums as well.

I still haven't sealed the rubber in with any sort of non-hardening sealant but need to because the rubber is bending off the glass at the bottom corner (because of the 90+ degree angle in the two corners)

Other than that it looks great, I expected it to be harder IMHO
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote