View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
siggyfreud

Re: Project "Second Chance" - Hot Rod 66' GMC

1. Strip Show
Well it's been a slower start than I wanted. I began stripping the floor to see what was underneath. It all looked good at the onset, but as I dug into it I found a powdery white substance being kicked into the air. Apparently a previous owner decided to bondo over holes in the floor . . .

Here is a closer shot:

I have never done body work or patching before. Did end up buying a welder and plasma cutter, and I have a 4.5" angle grinder/cutter as well, so I think I have some of the pieces to fab up some patches.

I need to keep grinding to figure out the extent of the damage. So far the passenger side looks better, just hoping that as I move up it stays the same. The bottom of the driver door is rotted, and it would have dumped water right where the floor is rotted. I'm really hoping the rockers are okay. May grind into those tonight.

Realizing it would be easier to access the floors and everything with the tank out, I pulled it. It won't be going back. I'll be getting a new EFI tank for the rear frame at some point. The bottom tank perches appear to be welded into place. I may just cut off the part jutting out towards the seating area.

That's it for now. Hopefully more to come soon. Next steps are to finish stripping, patch the floors (hopefully it's minimal) and POR-15 them.

Last edited by siggyfreud; 11-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote