View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
ChevyTech

Re: '89 350 tbi 5 speed stalling and surging idle

Thank you for the kind words K5hart.

Quote:
When I start in the morning it doesn't seem to run any higher than when it is warm.
Something is wrong.
You replace the IAC.
The IAC should always speed the engine up at least some, when starting the engine, even if it is warm.
The passages could be plugged. The ECM could be bad. The wiring between the ECM and IAC could be bad.

Quote:
Had bad fuel pump and I replaced filter with it.
Just because you replaced the pump does not mean the pressure is good. There are multiple failures that can causes the TBI trucks to have low fuel pressure other then the fuel pump. It could have a fuel pressure regulator problem.

Just because the pump is new does not mean it is good.

I suggest only using OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) fuel pumps. I have seen so many pumps from other manufactures fail in the warranty period or just after the warranty is up that I suggest only using an OEM pump.

Quote:
Took it to a shop to diagnose the idle and it had a map sensor code. Shop replaced map sensor and egr, as well…
The exhaust could be restricted. Does it sound unusually quite? This would explain the poor fuel mileage too.

If the IAC seemed to be working ok, I would say you should test the fuel pressure with the engine running.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote