View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
homemade87

Re: Rear Differential help

I dont think the there was an option . Its just what gm did up to 04 . Thats why that v6 had them . Seems like there was some talk of some problems with the disc set up and gm went back to drums ( not sure about this ) . Dont discount the drum as of stopping power . The will work just fine . The problem with drum brakes is they can not get rid of the heat like the disc can . So if you where having to do a lot of long down hill grades they can heat up and fade . But just regular towing with no long periods of braking my 06 does just fine . In my opinion trailer brakes are a must for towing .

The OP could use a drum system but there will be things they will have to change ( brake lines , e brake cable , possibly the master cylinder , portioning valve ) .

Mr.Chevy could use a drum rear and swap everything over being they are going to have the old rear . Could use up to 07 classic body style . Will have to pull the rear cover to get the axles out . This will open up some more options to finding the right gear ratio as well . The rear should be the same and bolt right in . Its just the brake system that will be different .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote