View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
roger55

Re: TF running hotter on highway than in-town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
+ + on the general theme of comments by dwser & mr48chev....

I have a similar setup on my 49 ( & running a Spal fan) & I have talked to a couple other forum members (wish I could remember who) who had the same problem - heating up at highway speeds. The problem was always traced to the restriction of airflow at high speeds at the base of the shroud - which is very close to the radiator surface. The solution was to use a stepped drill bit and drill a series of holes in a pattern at the lower corners of the shroud.

The guy who helped me on my build does vintage race cars, often sets them up with electric fans and most often has to drill holes in the bottom of the shroud to cure high speed heating problems.
If that is an issue, I still have the issue that it still might not be where I want it to be for around town too.
So then the question is one of whether my fan is powerful enough or whether I require a radiator with more cooling capacity.

Interesting about the holes as a cure. It seems like while sitting or when traveling slowly, the fan would pull hot air in from the engine compartment and make things worse. I'm reluctant to try that.

I wish there were 4" electric fans available. I would have room for one in each corner of the shroud.
Like I said, I don't care for the idea of rubber flaps but if there were nice shutters or a hinge flapped louver of some type, it would be something easy to try.

Btw, this is the fan I'm running:
http://www.maradynehp.com/m162k.html

2170 cfm rating at zero static. On the highway the pressure should be positive so the flow should be more than that.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote