View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #124
Rich 5150 69

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Here are a couple of final photos. This one shows the mounting bolts for the gas pedal support, the cable attachment, and the block off plate for the old linkage pivot:

And this is the best shot I can get of the engine brackets. The new bracket moved the anchor for the throttle return springs back almost an inch and a half stretching them too tight. So I added a high tech adjustable return spring connector (a piece of dog choke chain). Once I dial in the correct length I’ll have my kid whip up something a little fancier looking. Obviously I need to wash my engine again.

Just took her out for the first drive with the new cable setup. What an unbelievable difference. I would have made the change years ago had I known how much of an improvement it was going to make. It is smooth as glass and extremely precise. The final minor adjustment was increasing throttle spring tension by one notch. The cruise control worked perfectly requiring no adjustment at all. Having been a mechanical linkage guy for the last 45 years I’m surprised how delighted I am with the results of this conversion. I’ll be recommending cable gas pedals from now on.
Mark next time you wash your engine use the so called awesome cleaner found in your 99 cent store...it really works good for aluminum, I used it today per some one else`s recomendation on my mower...I was impressed especially sinse its only 99 cent.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote