View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #51
WIDESIDE72

Re: Picked up a 70 Longhorn w/ a 396/ TH400 and a NICE rust free cab!

No photos but I have made some progress on the Longhorn. I sold the stepside in my profile pic, so I had the itch for a truck to drive. It didn't take much to get her going. I had to install a mechanical fuel pump and pushrod as it was propane only before. I installed a q jet that i was running on the stepside as it was too rich and I couldnt get it to cooperate. Not a problem on the 400. The starter gave up on me after a couple of trips to the parts store. I removed the old seam sealer from the cab gutter and installed new sealer, Reset the glass in the driver door and installed new fuzzies and channels as well as weatherstrip on the driver door. I had to disassenmble the tailgate handle as it was frozen up and would let the gate latch. A few minutes with a can of pb blaster and a hammer had it loosened up. The rusty chrome 16.5" wagon spoke wheels and bias ply tires were pulled as the tires were flat spotted so bad, it wouldn't do more than 35 mph.I installed a set of stock 16" steel wheels and tires off my 01 2500hd but I am not too happy with the offset. They are really tucked in. I have been looking for something for the 01 as the aftermarket 17" Eagle Alloys and michelins I found for it on c list for $400 stick out too far IMO. Then I could put the 17's on the Longhorn. I missed out on a set of stock alloys and good michelins off a 10 2500hd for $500 by just a few hours. Oh well...I need to install a new heater core, as the old one started leaking like a sieve, so I had to loop the heater hose. I have been making short trips. We put our house in town up for sale and moved back out to our 4 acres in the country, so I have been using it as my "pasture truck" to haul limbs, as I wasn't keeping on top of things outside as well as I should have for the five years the place was a rental. Long term I am still thinking I will use the cab front clip and engine in the short bed chassis, and although I have a stepside bed, I have built two stepsides, so I am thinking I could use all of the good existing bed parts (front panel, wheel tubs, tailgate and possibly the bed strips) minus the sides and build a fleetside for $1000...Selling the stepside bed as well as the extra stepside fenders and tailgate I have would help offset the cost somewhat...Photos soon!

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 09-24-2017 at 10:13 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote