View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Lugnutz65

Crazy 307ci build.

I bought a rebuilt 307ci as part of a package deal. It was sitting in a trailer for a number of years and the price was very low. It had been run one time by the seller’s father and then put into storage.
The engine was full of rust in several cylinders when I looked with a borescope. So I tore it apart. I think the source of the moisture in the oil and rust in the cylinders above the piston was due to a head gasket leak that was not recognized when they ran it that first time. Then it sat for 8+ years. Some cylinders looked great.

Before you criticize me for buying an engine that I didn’t test, you must understand that I have a good relationship with the seller and that he is going to make things right.

The seller’s father had the engine built and has passed on. The seller didn’t know much about the build. The detective work has been fun.

Here’s what I know.
1968 Chevelle 307ci block
a 327 crankshaft (same as all other 307s)
a General Kinetics GK-930 camshaft (specs listed in pic below)
+0.060 TRW L2302 forged domed pistons
new hydraulic lifters
single plane Edlebrock Performer intake
SBC 333882 fuelie heads with 76cc chambers (likely rebuilt heads)
new roller rockers and pushrods

It’s a real shame there was rust in the engine. For my purposes it really wasn’t gonna be a great engine to use on the street anyway, so there’s that.
I’ll save parts that can be useful, but I’m not gonna spend money to bring this 307ci back to life. Pics are for your entertainment.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote