View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #58
67Steven

Re: 1972 K5 4x4 modified build

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I would like to know more about the paint? what brand paint and clear how much did you cut and buff. Also home made paint booth did you blow air in or use exhaust fans...Great photo's also...Thanks.
Well, the paint is a single stage urethane PPG mix. I wanted single stage for ease of ding and scratch touch-up, but really the two stage would have been easier to spray, and I really wish I had gone that route.

I used the shop as a paint booth, with a few added halogen light stands- you can't have too much light! I hung plastic around the perimeter and heavy visqueen on the floor. I can't remember who, but someone on this board built 2x2 frames with plastic sheeting- that would be an excellent idea and quite frankly worth the time if you are using it more than once. 4 box fans with filters in front of them became the extraction air movers and a filtered opening at the other end let pressure equalize.

I hung all the small parts on gantry style racks so I could roll them out of the way after painting. The tub was on a rotisserie so I could roll it out of the way and rotate it to spray every spot. These two things let me have a big work area in a smaller space.

It worked well, I do have some dust nibs, but I am not complaining. The two stage would have been a better choice, as you can clean up the nibs before clear and of course cut and buff them out after clear.
67Steven is offline   Reply With Quote