View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
kevinr1970

Re: Scrap those old trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
The information mentioned by kevinr above states that the ONLY thing that can be saved is the engine and drivetrain, the rest must be shredded. Whoever takes a vehicle from this program (such as the dealership or scrap yard) cannot benefit from the sale of any vehicle or parts from the "to be shredded" vehicle except the engine and drivetrain, and also the saved parts cannot be sold as a whole, only as individual parts.
Unless I am misconstruing the meaning of the legalese, I think you are understanding it backwards. They will be able to sell any and all parts off the vehicle, EXCEPT the engine block or the drivetrain as a whole. But you can sell the drivetrain as seperate parts - "(unless with respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts) ".
That is the way I read it?
Also, the cars can never be resold, not even out of the country. I take that to mean that they can canabalize the vehicle down the the VIN plate and and engine block.
Quote:
Since most people driving these SUVs and trucks need them for the family and towing stuff, there is no real benefit for trading DOWN to something like a Fit or Prius or any of these small cars that they are pushing.
If someone was driving a late 80's Suburban (11/16mpg) and traded it on a new Suburban (14/20mpg) they would get the full voucher and be getting better mileage.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote