View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ok folks explain me this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63C20 View Post
I get my new motor in. I hook up my new ignition switch. The very last thing i do is plug my HEI into the fuse panel, then crank. nothing. what the?? eventually i found my HEI wire is 12v, til i plug it into the HEI then it drop to 6v. no there is not a resistor at all. Bad module?

Well assuming that you have bypassed the resistor wire, from the ignition switch through the firewall connector, to the original points distributor, and run a new wire directly from the fuse panel to the BAtt connection on the HEI distributor. You should not see anything less than 11 volts at the HEI distributor Batt wire connection.

If You connected to the IGN UNfused terminal on the fuse panel you would have the correct connection to the distributor for the conversion from points to HEI.

Below is the two connections used for the conversion. The first one is the original wiring using the resistance wire and the second shows both the original and the conversion wiring. NOTE that the conversion wiring shows the HEI wire coming directly from the ignition switch through the firewall to the distributor. This can be done but the resistance wire from the firewall to the HEI distributor must be removed and replaced with a regular awg wire usually 12 gauge. Running the wire from the fuse panel does the same thing you just have an extra wire in the circuit. AWG just means standard automotive grade wire.

Measuring from the end of the HEI wire to ground with the key on yields 12 volts. You say that when you plug it into the distributor, your reading drops to 6 volts. Where are you taking that reading?

Original points wire.

Name:  points_wire.gif
Views: 525
Size:  7.6 KB

HEI conversion coming from the key switch.

Name:  HEI_wire.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  36.1 KB

The left side is the original points side showing the resistance wire and the 12 volts bypass wire from the starter which are both no longer needed.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote