View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
nikwho

Re: Best fuel efficiency

Here's an idea for you. Get a Vortec 4200 i6 out of a Trailblazer and back it with a 5/6 speed of your choice. Like said above, hard street tires with lots of air to decrease rolling resistance. Low stance and an air dam would help, too. Those late model straight six's don't get much love. There's a member that is local to me that is pitting one in his AD panel wagon. I loved the idea of a modern straight six cylinder in an old truck. Would probably be as fuel efficient as they come, without jumping into a 4bt, or something similar. And, they make better than 1HP/cubic inch, which isn't bad.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/837...ne-six-engine/

As for my trucks, I've never even CHECKED the fuel economy, but I am sure that I'm almost exclusively under 10mpg. My '59 is probably capable of better with its 350 and 700r4, but I drive that like I stole it, so yeah.

Also, you said that option #1 was to KEEP your current 305. I assume that it's in the truck now? If so, what fuel economy are you currently seeing? You could probably research what kind of MPG increases guys are seeing with just the Vortec head swap (remember that when swapping to Vortec heads, you will also need to buy a carbureted Vortec intake manifold. Then you can figure out what kind of MPG increases guys are seeing going from (whatever transmission you currently have) to a t56/Richmond/whatever you're interested in. Would not look to a 305 to solvensure any problems, except for maybe NOT spending money, if it's what you already have.

Good luck!

Nik