View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Mack B

Re: Emergency Brake Delete on Rear Drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
I have seen an air bagged truck with no parking brake slide down a steep driveway when aired out.

it was a 70 c10 LWB. bagged and laid frame. owner aired it out as his parking brake. they got the truck stopped by jumping in a stepping on the brake.
That's all the proof I need . My only experience was with a bagged and body dropped truck that the engine couldn't even move when laid out...in retrospect the front tires where unable to rotate on said truck was laid out tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Mack, my edit was to add the note about 67 and later master cylinders providing redundancy in the system in case anyone wasn’t aware (forgot I was on the 60-66 board for a second...hang out on the 67-72 side as well). I am an engineer, but can’t really give you an exact number of how steep a grade would pose a risk - but tiger joe has provided a data point that should make anyone considering airing out as a substitute for a parking brake take pause. You do pose a good question on why the term emergency brake was used in the past. I’ve used it myself - interchangeably with parking brake, and indeed I’d use it as a last resort if a brake system failed. I guess my main point, which I could have worded better, is that if someone is going to spend money on an airba system, they can afford a parking brake - and if available funds cause one to choose between the two, then a parking brake should take priority - and air it out later. The OP asked a good question - airing out would keep the vehicle from rolling on fairly level surface, but joe provided some proof it won’t work for all surfaces.
I'm all fairness I enjoy the discussion on these things, In my mind the op had a solid rational about ditching the e brake...My only stake in this is I have porterbuilt trailing arms on the way and I'm not sure there is a clean way to route the cables with these, even at that I considered a different style than total deletion.

Last edited by Mack B; 10-13-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Siri did the best she could with what I gave her
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote