View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Anyone running this? TCI lock-up kit for 700R4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rm View Post
Mary D, can you give some more details on how you did this? I am trying to figure out how to do something similar. Thanks!
Well I'd be happy to if ya don't call me a MarY again LOL,, however my wife was saying something about me starting to get man-boobies. I think that is a sign it's time for a new wife ain't it!!!

If you 'really want to hear my ordeal making this work,,, here goes and I apologize to zellway for the hijack

Most of the 700r trans built and transplanted into earlier vehicles are set with a high pressure switch in the valve body to allow lockup in HIGH GEAR only. (Factory had a switch for both 3rd and 4th)The original GM ECU controlled things reading all he good stuff like gear position, MAP, throttle angle, vehicle speed, engine rpm....... and who knows what else. It would be a really cool to have all those parameters at your disposal to make a 'lockup' map wouldn't it! But unfortunately all most of us have is power feeding the high gear pressure switch.
So I took on the challenge BUT remember, The system I'm using is pulling MAP value out of the Holley Commander-950 EFI controller. You have a few programmable outputs in the C-950 and I selected MAP below 'X' value, send ground to pin (whatever) in the harness. That ground simply closed a relay in the feed from switch to the lockup. Get into the throttle and the lack of vacuum set the MAP value that opened the relay to unlock the converter. Took a lot of trial and error watching MAP on a laptop connected to the ECU

That's what this TCI switch zellway linked is supposed to do. But it's so darn sensitive you can't fine tune it,, It does nothing,,,, or it shuttles in and out of lockup at the slightest tip into the throttle I (again was just my experience with it)

Then...
I did the same thing with the output from the B&M lockup kit. B&M ignores the vacuum and locks up STRICTLY by speed. You have to have a VSS speedo sensor in your trans. JakeShoe here on this board built my trans and got the output shaft with the reluctor and tailhousing from a ?? year that had the electronic speedo VSS. (Also B&M gives you VSS that will adapt to the gear driven speedo unit with the kit,, you just order which ever one you need. Actually I ended up with 3,, including the one from the DakotaDash speedo sensor ) So anyways B&M has a dial and you crank in the speed that the converter locks up.

Combining the three,,,
the trans only allowed lockup in 4th gear by the pressure switch in the valve body.
The B&M kit would only allow lockup above xx mph (I used 43mph which works good with my gearing and most street cruising)
And finally the MAP / vacuum switch would open / close the relay depending on engine load. That was in the wire between the B&M kit and the trans plug.

Clear as mud??? send me a e-mail if it my typical confusing mess and I'll try to sketch it out for you.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote