View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #41
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: 4x4 steering issue - won't return to center

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ever resolve this problem? I have a similar problem with my '72 K2500. I have owned it since '04 and when I test drove it I commented on how it wanted to wander. The guy said I'd get used to it . Bought the truck and did tie rod ends, drag link ends, and ball joints, still wandered. I have serviced the bearings regularly and they are in good condition with proper adjustment. It had hand me down tires the whole time I've owned it till last summer when I put new 8" Wheel Vintiques and Goodyear Duratracs. Way back when I was checking play with someone working the wheel and noticed slop at the sector shaft/pitman arm. I replace the pitman arm with a good one and installed a rebuilt power steering box a friend gave me, with little use, when he went to crossover. I did notice the shocks it came with were way shot so attributed all this to the road steering my truck due to the shocks and uneven tires. But with all that new it is no better, if not worse. It's a real workout keeping it straight. I never had this in the many K/20s I've owned, but my next consideration is going to crossover steering to see if this is all bump steer. It does do better on the flat hiway, but I am still constantly correcting.

Neither of us have touched our axle u-joints. I never figured them in since this is all in 2wd. But they do steer with the truck 100% of the time and I guess they could be binding. Easy enough to change, so I'll try that and try putting another steering box on. That has been on a long time and maybe it was worn or not rebuilt well
This really hits home with me. My K20 is behaving in a similar manner and I'm not sure what to do next. I've owned it a long time and I know it used to track better than it does now. Lately it wanders a bit and needs constant small corrections to keep it between the lines.

Several years ago I had my steering box replaced (old one was worn out and loose). That fixed it, and the truck hasn't been driven enough since then to wear out the new box. I'm going to check the adjuster though anyway, just in case. I recently repacked the wheel bearings, put on new tie rod ends and a new drag link, and had the toe set at an alignment shop. They said the ball joints are good, no slop. Still wandering.

I'm running new 255/85-16s on 16x7 Ford steelies, so offset or tire width won't be causing any bump steer. I'll probably get a new steering stabilizer even though that won't fix anything.

I'll be watching this thread. Meantime, if snugging up the steering box adjuster helps me, I'll post it here.

UPDATE: I'll be darned, it worked! I tightened the allen screw just a bit, less than 1/8 turn, and went for a test drive. Steering works easily and returns to center on its own, so I didn't get it too tight. And the loose, wandering feel is either gone or very close to it. Much much better!

Unfortunately this was a good news / bad news test drive. The ammeter pegged hard right, recovered at idle speed, then pegged again as soon as RPMs came up. Something smelled hot and when I stopped the truck, the engine died. Alternator wiring was smoked. Hello, tow truck..... back to the shop..... again.

Would have posted this update sooner but had to go meet the tow truck driver in the middle of typing....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 07-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote