View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
RotaryRocketeer

Timing Curve Advice

Noticed lately that the truck had been running progressively poorer and fuel "economy" was falling off as well. Did a pretty solid tune up, rebuilt a carb I had on the shelf and installed it, did plugs, wires, inspected HEI for wear and degradation, and hunted for vacuum leaks.

During the process, I found that my adjustable vacuum advance can wouldn't hold any vacuum at all. Replaced that with another adjustable unit, reset my initial (to the same value I had set it to after purchasing it) to make sure it was dialed, and the truck is running very well overall. I suspect the new carburetor needs dialed in a bit, but I also don't think that's contributing to the issue.

Problem is, it seems to get a slight and short-lived ping when accelerating from cruise under certain conditions. I am of the opinion that I need to tweak the mechanical/centrifugal advance to come in a bit later and leave the vacuum advance tuning alone. It's running very well as is, and the detonation is very slight, but ideally it wouldn't be there at all.

Opinions?
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote